Check the Serving Size
All nutritional information is based on one serving. If you eat more, adjust the calories and nutrients accordingly.
Know Your Calories
Calories measure energy per serving. Balance intake with activity:
- Low: 40 calories or less
- Moderate: 100-200 calories
- High: 400+ calories
- Low: 40 calories or less
- Moderate: 100-200 calories
- High: 400+ calories
Nutrients to Limit & Prioritize
Limit: Saturated fat, sodium, added sugars - too much leads to heart disease, high blood pressure, and weight gain. ( Aim for 5% DV or less per serving.)
Prioritize: Fiber, Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron, Potassium - key for digestion, bone health, and overall wellness. ( Look for 20% DV or more per serving. )
Decode %Daily Value ( %DV )
- 5% DV or less = Low
- 20% DV or more = High - Use %DV to compare products and choose healthier options.
Avoid Misleading Front Labels
Food packaging often exaggerates health claims. Ignore items like:
- "Light" (often means watered down or sugar-added)
- "Multigrain" (doesn't mean whole grain)
- "Natural" (doesn't guarantee real ingredients)
- "No Sugar Added" (product may still be high in sugar)
- "Low Fat" (often loaded with sugar to compensate)
Read the ingredients list
Ingredients appear in order of quantity. Watch out for:
- Refined grains, sugars, and hydrogenated oils in the first 3 spots - indicates processed junk food.
- Long ingredient lists suggests high processing
Watch Out for Serving Size Tricks
Manufacturers often list unrealistically small serving sizes to make products seem healthier. Always adjust for what you actually consume.
Hidden Sugars: Many Names, Same Problem
Sugar appears under many disguises, including:
- Sugars: Cane sugar, date sugar, coconut sugar, evaporated can juice.
- Syrups: High-fructose corn syrup, agave nectar, malt syrup.
- Other Additives: Dextrose, maltodextrin, molasses. If multiple sugars appear on the list, the product is likely loaded with added sugar.
The best way to avoid misleading labels? Stick to whole, unprocessed foods. When buying packaged goods, use these tips to separate the junk from the nutritious options. Smarter reading labels leads to smarter eating.
I read food labels very carefully as I don't consume salad dressings containing seed oils, I don't consume products like spaghetti sauce or juices that contain added sugar; I don't consume anything that contains high-fructose corn syrup; I don't consume products containing hydrogenated oils; I don't consume processed food; I don't consume canned\frozen fruit; and I don't consume canned\frozen vegetables.
I read food labels very carefully as I don't consume salad dressings containing seed oils, I don't consume products like spaghetti sauce or juices that contain added sugar; I don't consume anything that contains high-fructose corn syrup; I don't consume products containing hydrogenated oils; I don't consume processed food; I don't consume canned\frozen fruit; and I don't consume canned\frozen vegetables.
💡 KEEP BUILDING A HEALTHIER YOU:
Free "Beginners Guide to Rucking After 50" PDF
I added slideshows from our visit to Scandinavia in the 'Sweden, Finland and Estonia' section of my post - Scandinavian Lifestyle Habits That Support Healthy Aging.
I hope the information and experiences I share on Healthy Retirement Strategies encourage you on your own health journey. No matter where you're starting, it's never too late to build a healthier, stronger, and more confident future.
I hope the information and experiences I share on Healthy Retirement Strategies encourage you on your own health journey. No matter where you're starting, it's never too late to build a healthier, stronger, and more confident future.
If this story encouraged you, consider sharing it with someone who might be looking to better understand nutrition labels. They will appreciate this, and in return, you can direct them to additional healthy content on Healthy Retirement Strategies.
We at Healthy Retirement Strategies focus on practical daily approaches to staying healthy by eating well, working out consistently ( Rucking and Working Out ), and maintaining a positive focus on life.
- If you are interested in additional posts about health, click the following links
This content is for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. Always consult a healthcare professional before making changes to your health routine.
Ready to Transform You
Your Health?
Click this link to discover weight loss stories, then click the link below to learn about healthy products to help in your journey.
Click this link to discover weight loss stories, then click the link below to learn about healthy products to help in your journey.
Explore More Resources
Continue Reading
- Scandinavian Saunas: Health Benefits, Social Ritual, or Both?
- Why Are the Happiest People in the World From Scandinavia?
- Healthy Aging Lessons From Scandinavian Lifestyle Design
- Simple Evening Habits That Support Better Sleep After 50
- Hábitos nocturnos simples para dormir mejor después de los 50
- How Dangerous is it Not to Get Enough Sleep as You Age?
- Does Time Speed Up as People Age, or is That Just Perception?
- How to Prevent Shoulder Injuries While Working Out After 50
- Is Pickleball a Fun Sport or Actually a Good Workout?
- Scandinavian Saunas: Health Benefits, Social Ritual, or Both?
- Why Are the Happiest People in the World From Scandinavia?
- Healthy Aging Lessons From Scandinavian Lifestyle Design
- Simple Evening Habits That Support Better Sleep After 50
- Hábitos nocturnos simples para dormir mejor después de los 50
- How Dangerous is it Not to Get Enough Sleep as You Age?
- Does Time Speed Up as People Age, or is That Just Perception?
- How to Prevent Shoulder Injuries While Working Out After 50
- Is Pickleball a Fun Sport or Actually a Good Workout?
Transform your health by working out safely and effectively!
The right tools and simple routines can make exercise safer, more comfortable, and easier to stay consistent with after 50.
The right tools and simple routines can make exercise safer, more comfortable, and easier to stay consistent with after 50.
Accelerate Your Health Journey
Accelerate Your Health Journey
These carefully selected products complement your exercise and healthy lifestyle routine and help you achieve results faster
Premium TPE Resistance Bands Set – 4 Strength Levels
Perfect for adults who want a simple, joint-friendly way to build strength at home. Resistance bands allow you to control intensity while improving balance, flexibility, and mobility - without the need for heavy weights.
With multiple resistance levels, you can start light and progress at your own pace. Ideal for strength training, stretching, and daily movement routines.
Why they’re helpful after 50:
- Builds strength without stressing joints
- Improves balance and flexibility
- Great for beginners and experienced users
- Easy to use at home or while traveling
- Builds strength without stressing joints
- Improves balance and flexibility
- Great for beginners and experienced users
- Easy to use at home or while traveling
Premium Natural Rubber Yoga Mat - 5mm Non-Slip SurfaceA supportive exercise mat makes stretching, balance work, and floor exercises safer and more comfortable. This non-slip yoga mat cushions your joints while providing a stable surface for better control during movement.Perfect for daily routines focused on flexibility, mobility, and overall wellness.
Why it’s helpful after 50:
- Cushions joints during floor exercises
- Non-slip surface for added safety
- Supports stretching and balance routines
- Easy to clean and store
- Cushions joints during floor exercises
- Non-slip surface for added safety
- Supports stretching and balance routines
- Easy to clean and store
Shopify Wellness Collection - Everything you need in one place. Browse our full selection of health products designed specifically for active retirees.
👉Explore All Products
Shopify Wellness Collection - Everything you need in one place. Browse our full selection of health products designed specifically for active retirees.
Real People, Real Results
Planning to stay active and independent as you age?
Download the Free Healthy Retirement Guide and start today.
Click here to download the Free Healthy Retirement Guide
Download the Free Healthy Retirement Guide and start today.
Click here to download the Free Healthy Retirement GuideDisclaimer: This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. Always consult with your healthcare provider before starting any new health regimen, especially if you have existing medical conditions or are taking medications. Visit Healthy Retirement Strategies for more tips on living your healthiest life at any age.

0 Comments